Monday, December 26, 2005


KATU 2 - Portland, Oregon
Surfer Survives Shark Attack

SEASIDE, Ore. - A man was attacked by a shark while surfing off the northern Oregon coast Saturday, authorities said.

The 30-year-old surfer, Brian Anderson, was bitten on the ankle and calf and suffered a laceration, said Joe Dotson, chief of the Seaside Fire Department.

Witnesses said Anderson was able to hit the shark on the nose and scare it away, before being carried to safety by fellow surfers. An ambulance drove the man - who was "conscious, alert and smiling" - to Providence Seaside Hospital, Dotson said.


The noontime attack happened at a popular surfing spot near Tillamook Head. Witnesses told Dotson that the shark was a 10-foot great white. He said there were no signs of the shark in the hours after the bite.

"I think everybody got out of the water," Dotson said. "He didn't get seconds."

ABC News: Oregon Surfer Punches Shark in the Nose

SEASIDE, Ore. Dec 26, 2005 — A surfer says he reacted on instinct when he punched a great white shark that grabbed his leg near the northern Oregon coast.

Brian Anderson expects to make a full recovery from the lacerations he suffered on his ankle and calf. And the attack isn't going to stop him from surfing.

"Oh yeah, I'll go back out. Eventually," he said Monday on ABC's "Good Morning America."

Anderson, 31, was at a popular surfing spot near Tillamook Head, south of Seaside, when he felt something grab his leg Saturday.

He turned and saw the shark, "and I saw the nose of it and I just punched it in the nose, right by the eye, as quickly as I could that's all I could think to do. After I did that, it let go."

He said he learned from television shows including the Discovery Channel's "Shark Week" that a shark's nose is its most sensitive area.

"As a surfer, it's your worst nightmare to get attacked by one of those things, so you think about it but you don't really know what to do until it really happens. I just connected on instinct and just did it."

Shark attack: a swimmer's worst fear becomes reality :: The Daily Herald, Provo Utah

HONOLULU -- The shark chomped on Jonathan Genant's left hand and disappeared into the depths off Maui.

Blood gushed from the sockets where the 29-year-old's left pinkie and the top half of his ring finger used to be.

About 200 yards from shore, the former triathlete floated alone, having just survived the first shark attack in Hawaii in 14 months.

Acting on a rush of adrenaline, Genant gripped the wrist of his injured arm with his right hand to slow the blood loss. He then flipped on his back and began to kick fast. But without use of his arms, he could only drift slowly.


On Wednesday morning, Genant saw a white shadow moving underneath him as he swam off Keawakapu Beach. The pale shape turned gray when the shark turned upright on its belly and headed toward him.

The animal opened its jaw.

On pure instinct, for a split-second, Genant considered fending off the shark with a blow to its nose.

He couldn't.

The shark's mouth was too big and a punch would have plunged his arm directly into a row of sharp teeth.

The shark caught Genant's hand, chewed it for a bit, and let go.

[snip or rather chomp]

He said he has more respect than anger for the shark.

"It's a surreal experience when you are seeing it. It really was an incredible creature as frightening as it is," said Genant. "It was his domain, and he was the boss, he was going to decide my fate ... I'm lucky to get away as I did."

1 comment: