Friday, September 09, 2005

There is hope for geeks everywhere...
Engineer Girl

(crap, not the kind of site I thought it was)


________________________________

Time Artist Song Album Label

----- air break -----

8:49 The Saturday Knights The Gospel The Saturday Knights demo

DJ Comments: Playing JITM at NIGHT Sept 10th at the Croc. Tomorrow! Opening! Holy shit!

----- air break -----

8:47 Editors Lights The Back Room Kitchenware

8:42 Silversun Pickups Kissing Families Pikul Dangerbird

8:38 Elbow Station Approach Leaders of the Free World

----- air break -----

8:31 Battle Tendency Transgressive Records

DJ Comments: 'Demons', a 2nd release from the monstrously touted Battle, due on September 19th http://www.transgressiverecords.co.uk/

8:26 Clap Your Hands Say Yeah The Skin Of My Yellow Country Teeth Clap Your Hands Say Yeah Clap Your Hands Say Yeah

8:23 Wolf Parade Dear Sons and Daughters of Hungry Ghosts Apologies to the Queen Mary Sub Pop

----- air break -----

8:16 Mission Of Burma That's When I Reach For My Revolver Accomplished - The Best of Mission of Burma Ryko

DJ Comments: tonight: Sept. 9th - Columbia, MO http://www.missionofburma.com


KEXP 90.3 FM - where the music matters

________________________________


Mission of Burma

Once I had my heroes
Once I had my dreams
But all of that is changed now
They've turned things inside out
The truth is not that comfortable, no

And mother taught us patience
The virtues of restraint
And father taught us boundaries
Beyond which we must go
To find the secrets promised us, yeah

That's when I reach for my revolver
That's when it all gets blown away
That's when I reach for my revolver
The spirit fights to find its way

A friend of mine once told me
His one and only aim
To build a giant castle
And live inside his name
Cry and whispers sing in muted pain

That's when I reach for my revolver
That's when it all gets blown away
That's when I reach for my revolver
The spirit fights to find its way

Tonight the sky is empty
But that is nothing new
Its dead eyes look upon us
And they tell me we're nothing but slaves

That's when I reach for my revolver
(...but slaves)
That's when I reach for my revolver
That's when I reach for my revolver
That's when I reach for my revolver
That's when I reach for my revolver
That's when I reach for my revolver

Mission of Burma - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

________________________________

This one's for you, Frank:

Worst Case Scenarios

How to Survive If Your Parachute Fails to Open

1. As soon as you realize that your chute is bad, signal to a jumping companion whose chute has not yet opened that you are having a malfunction. Wave your arms and point to your chute.

2. When your companion (and new best friend) gets to you, hook arms.

3. Once you are hooked together, the two of you will be falling at terminal velocity, or about 130 miles per hour. When your friend opens his chute, there will be no way either of you will be able hold on to one another, because the G-forces will triple or quadruple your body weight. To prepare for this problem, hook your arms into his chest strap, or through the two sides of the front of his harness, all the way up to your elbows, and grab hold of your own strap.

4. Open the chute. The chute opening shock will be severe, probably enough to dislocate or break your arms.

5. Steer the canopy. Your friend must now hold on to you with one arm while steering his canopy (the part of the chute that controls direction and speed). If your friend’s canopy is slow and big, you may hit the grass or dirt slowly enough to break only a leg, and your chances of survival are high. If his canopy is a fast one, however, your friend will have to steer to avoid hitting the ground too fast. You must also avoid power lines and other obstructions at all costs.

6. If there is a body of water nearby, head for that. Of course, once you hit the water, you will have to tread with just your legs and hope that your partner is able to pull you out before your chute takes in water.

How to Prepare.

Check your chute before you jump. The good news is that today’s parachutes are built to open, so even if you make big mistakes packing them, they tend to sort themselves out. The reserve chute, however, must be packed by a certified rigger and must be perfect as it is your last resort. Make sure that:

* The parachute is folded in straight lines—that there are no twists.

* The slider is positioned correctly to keep the parachute from opening too fast.





2 comments:

Anonymous said...

RE: Geek entry

Who says geeks aren't appreciated?

See: http://www.thinkgeek.com/tshirts/
generic/5c89/zoom/
OR
http://www.thinkgeek.com/tshirts/
generic/724a/zoom/
OR
http://www.thinkgeek.com/tshirts/
ladies/5c8f/zoom

Jack Lord said...

cool stuff, thanks for the link