Saturday, July 30, 2005

Blue Train



I took some good advice I received and decided to play some of MY music to my kids. Usually the kids insist KIDS MUSIC... nursery rhymes, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, Mary Poppins, The Sound of Music etc. We were taking a morning drive to Wolf Haven International, Washington state sanctuary for wolves. (Very cool by the way... Wolves move very differently than dogs. Their sense of smell is 100 greater than ours. They don't howl at the moon. That just happens to be the time of month when they are most active. Or something like that!) Anyway, I put on Blue Train by John Coltrane.


Unfortunately (or fortunately), my 2-year old fell asleep almost instantly. My 5-year old managed to make it through the whole album without asking to change it. I tried to point out the various instruments that were soloing at any given moment. "Do you hear the drums? How about that trumpet? Do you know what instrument that is?" I suppose a 5-year old liking jazz is a lot to ask for. However, I am forever imprinted on Barry Manilow and Mac Davis based on years of exposure from 8-track tapes!


"Oh Mandy! You came and you gave without takin' But I sent you away, oh Mandy! You kissed me and stopped me from shakin' And I neeeeeeeeeeeed youuuuuuuuuuuuuuu..."


John Coltrane: Blue Train ---Ink Blot Magazine

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

No worries... No one is an instant jazz lover - or at least no one I know. It's not like Blues, ya know.

Ooo Ooo Ooo! Tried the B-52s?? I bet that'd go over big. Or Blondie. No, the B-52s - Get them dancing to Rock Lobster (and their other fine tunes)!

Jack Lord said...

B-52'S... good call, seem to remember a song called "Housework" which would be good when picking up and tripping over the toys in my house